Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Song of the Week #4 -- Plea from a Cat Named Virtue by The Weakerthans

The Weakerthans are one of the bands that everybody should know about, but no one does. It's supremely disappointing, that. There's really nothing dislikable about them, and everything likable. Their light but powerful guitar with nice, not overpowering drums are fantastic, but the vocals..

See, I usually don't pay much attention to the vocals of a song. And you will know that right away when I try to sing along to one. I get the overall message, but don't really listen to the little words. That's because I see the lyrics as secondary to the music. Far secondary. In fact, I don't much care about lyrics; one thing that I love so much about Sigur Ros is the fact that they sometimes sing in a completely made-up language (Hopelandic).

With The Weakerthans, though, the lyrics are reason enough to listen, and the great music behind the lyrics is just further reason. They're true poetry, and not any of that e.e. cummings crap: this is the real thing.

Normally, I'd provide a 'case in point,' but any of their songs could serve as a case in point. So, without further ado, Plea from a Cat Named Virtue:


Plea from a Cat Named Virtue


This was my first Weakerthans experience (it was on Punkorama 9). If you didn't realize, it's from the perspective of a cat whose owner has gotten lethargic.

Pretty awesome, isn't it?

And for those of you that want more, here's another track of theirs. This is maybe my favorite of theirs; it's got that awesome repetitive guitar and some of the most beautiful lyrics I've ever heard:

My Favorite Chords


I super super hope that you have enjoyed these as much as I have. Over and over. And if you like it, go buy it!

"Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared."
--Buddha

No comments: